Visited the dentist today. Dr. Kleopatra. Russian (I think - based on her accent). Very good dentist. Either way, I went in for a referral, she wanted to give me a cleaning while I was there. "Not without gas." I demanded. She didn't have any nitrous. What I did get was seven shots in the mouth of some potent Ruskie equivalent to Novocain. I'm not kidding, the lower half of my face went numb immediately.
A couple of hours later, as I was getting feeling back into my face, I swallowed a couple of Excedrin for the pain. BAM! I'm up all night, rolling the dice with caffeine. I lay in bed and toss and turn for an hour before getting up for the next five. Finally, at 0400 I make another attempt at sleep. Fifteen minutes later I'm brewing an entire pot of Colombian coffee - my first since that fateful trip to Wichita. I'm fully leaded today baby!
We're Starfleet officers. Weird is part of the job.
So this is what I did with my unprecedented 5-hour stretch in front of the computer:
- Completely revamped my lj page...twice.
- Ended up restoring everything and changing only the background image. This proved quite troublesome! I simply wanted to add a prtdiag -v output to my existing backdrop, and initially worked with a mixture of adjusting the hue of the text-on-black and trying a low opacity clone-stamp, but nothing was giving me anything near perfection. I finally ended up running the prtdiag -v in a terminal window and making the background of the terminal window a number of modified images I later 'stitched' back together after tiling the output using OSX's [cmd-shift-3] print screen. *whew!*
- Listened to a tonne of music -wow; LOVED the banjos in Quigley Down Under - will definitely have to put that one in heavy rotation, Wrath of Khan - why is this one so friggin amazing??? Firefly & Serenity of course (can't wait to get my hot little hands on that new one I ordered) the official documentary site is here: http://donetheimpossible.com. And also, a very special thank you from a most unlikely source for soundtracks, dreamkatch! "Thank you, thank you, thank you." I listened to the entire album Pan's Labyrinth from the official website three times today. That will be a purchase, not a download. Damn I hate mp3's.
- Put two recipies up on my server. Now, they're not linked yet. Hell, the maintenance alone on that is going to kill to me if I get too fancy, but I had a request from HIGGS! for any Venison recipes. Since the request coincided with my goal of putting my favorite recipes online, I simply made this family chili recipe my first entry! Enjoy.
- And, for the first time in 14-months, my Big Brother server monitor is again up and running. Yes, just one of the simple pleasures in life.
Who wanted to muck around in the dirt when you could be studying quantum mechanics?
OMG! Then at exactly 0533 I get an email from PayPal saying that [name withheld] has purchased a Dell Computer for $472 and it will be charged to my account! WTF? I log into PayPal - can't find any info on it - regardless, I change my passwd and try to open an Unauthorized Use Dispute. Catch is, the Transaction ID is not valid. Hmmm. I double-check full headers: Yup, it's Paypal, not one of those Taiwanese spoofs (my Sun E250 was once hacked by the Taiwanese). So I go looking for this guy online and find his phone number! I call Dell to cancel the charge, but they're not open until 0700 and this guy's phone is disconnected. He was at one point on the Wellsville, KS Chamber of Commerce, so I called them on the outside chance he still serves, but they don't open 'till 0800. Oh, I'll get to the bottom of this one! Bastards.
Mind melds... the last time I heard the words "my mind to your mind", I had a headache for two weeks.
Anyway - wifey has a doctor's appointment today and I'm leaving work early to work from home so I can watch little girl while she goes, so I'll just head into work early to maximize my time there.
128/69 p96 <--wired!
Aha! Found an embedded link which redirects to http://www.iuuyuilifssasdfuafs.tk/ which in turn is nothing more than a spoof PayPal page. I must be coming down off my high. I'm seeing things more clearly now. Dell gave me a PayPal/Dell number to call in these instances. I'll also forward the email to [name withheld] warning him of the scam.